Friday, September 30, 2011

Powerful Phrases


Recently my students completed their first writing assignment... applause please!  They each wrote a descriptive paragraph on their favorite place in the whole wide world. This year the school is using a brand new English curriculum (WriteSource) and the students are doing great!  I'm so proud.  On our "Publishing" day of the Writing Process the students spent some time celebrating their classmates accomplishments by reading their paragraphs and writing down "Powerful Phrases" that stood out to them in their classmates' writing.  Fun huh?

After this, they got into groups and made posters of these phrases to hang around the room.  


It was super fun to take pictures of them doing this, because well... they are Junior Highers and they have HUGE personalities!

Case in point. 


Here are some really sweet 8th grade girls.  Any chance to work in groups with their friends is like celebrating their Birthday... no like Christmas! 
Anyways, I was very proud of them and now I have a display of their "Creative Descriptive Paragraphs" on a bulletin board.  The second part of the assignment was to combine the words of your paragraph with a picture representing the 'favorite place.' 
By now we've moved onto writing the Narrative Essays.  These will be a blast to Publish as they are writing first person narratives from the perspective of a toy they brought to class.  Eventually they will give the toy along with the published essay to one of our Preschoolers.  Oh, I'll take pictures that day (for sure!)

Until next time,

Mrs. F




No comments:

Post a Comment

I SO look forward to and appreciate each and every comment I receive. Please feel free to add comments which will uplift and encourage.

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen...